For the past twelve years, I have been working for Nightlight Christian Adoptions. All of my focus has been on raising awareness and participation in embryo donation and adoption. The most discouraging words I hear on any given day are, “I’ve never heard about this before. You need to be doing more to help people know about this wonderful adoption choice!”
Yes. We do.
Today we are going to focus on our BEST voice for letting other people know—YOU!
Why are you our best voice?
- Because you may have successfully placed your remaining embryos for adoption.
- Because you may have adopted embryos and given birth to your child.
- Because you know people who are facing infertility and would be delighted to know about this adoption choice.
- Because whether you know it or not, you know people who have remaining embryos and would love to help them be born.
- Because the more people like you who are telling other people, the more people know.
- One in eight couples are diagnosed with infertility in the United States.
Here are some ideas for helping you engage with people around you. If you would like to talk with me about one of these ideas, or another fabulous idea you have, please contact me in our Colorado office.
- Forward the monthly Snowflakes Newsletter to everyone in your email distribution list. There is a super-easy ‘Forward to a Friend’ button at the bottom.
- When you send out your Christmas cards/photos/letters this year attach this Snowflakes badge. There are many online services that will allow you to create personalized stickers.
- Participate on a Snowflakes Facebook Live session to share your donation or adoption story and answer questions from new inquirers.
- Create a vlog series of short, interesting, engaging videos for YouTube, allowing you to uniquely record and share your embryo donation or adoption journey.
- If you live near one of our ten Nightlight state offices, work with that office’s staff to be the keynote at an informational adoption seminar specifically on embryo adoption.
- Take your Snowflake baby back to your fertility clinic to introduce your baby and encourage the Reproductive Endocrinologist, Embryologist, Donor Coordinator, Nursing staff—everyone—to proactively promote Snowflakes among patients, both donation and adoption.
- Choose six (or more) churches in your community. Go visit. Talk with the church secretary. See if you can talk with the pastor or schedule an appointment for later. Ask if there is a specific person in the church who is passionate about adoption and talk with them.
- Submit your family’s embryo donation or adoption story to be included on our Family Story pages on the Snowflakes website (please email [email protected] to learn how to submit your story).
- Create a 15-30 second video that can be used in our social media advertising campaigns.
- Send us photos of your Snowflakes babies, along with a completed photo release form, to use in our awareness efforts!
- Talk with your employer’s human resource department and ask to have any adoption benefits apply to embryo adoption. (Proctor & Gamble provides this benefit to their employees.)
- Reach out to your local media outlets—newspapers/T.V./radio, to ask if they would be interested in your embryo donation or adoption story. Human-interest stories are a valuable tool for grabbing the attention of their audience.
Written by Kimberly Tyson