Becoming an adoptive parent may not be as complicated as you expect. Our team will guide you step-by-step through the process. Some of the steps are:
- Connect with our staff. We’re here to help answer your questions! Contact us through email or phone so we can help you explore whether adoption from foster care is a good fit for your family.
- Fill out an application. The adoption from foster care process begins with your application and orientation to Nightlight’s Anchored in Hope Program. You will participate in orientation with your home office either in person or via Skype/Zoom, depending on your home office’s requirements.
- Complete a Home Study. The home study includes in-depth interviews with you and your family, along with an assessment of your house with an experienced staff member. The home study process also includes completing adoption education. Nightlight provides training that focuses on trauma-informed caregiving and Trust Based Relational Intervention (TBRI) techniques. Additional training is required and will vary by state. We want to ensure that you are adequately prepared for bringing a new child into your home.
- Match/Identification of Child – Once your home study is complete and you have been approved to adopt, you may begin searching for a child by looking at different websites (Adopt US Kids, Heart Gallery of America, Raise the Future, Americas Kids Belong, etc.). Your Nightlight adoption advocate will also search available sites for a potential match. We will review child profiles to ensure the child meets your stated preferences, prepare you for any concerns identified, offer suggestions of additional questions to ask, and participate in the match call. We will then follow up with the child’s case worker regarding the match call. If all parties desire to move forward, your Nightlight adoption advocate will advise you of the next steps.
- Preparing for Placement – Once you are matched with a child, we will work with you to arrange the first visit. We are here to provide support as you navigate the initial visits, which may take place of several days.
- Placement & Finalization – Once the child is transitioned into your family, we will make monthly visits to your home to ensure the placement is going well. We will also provide written reports to the child’s case worker and advocate for a quick finalization. Finalization should occur between six months and one year depending on applicable state laws.