Steps to becoming a foster parent can seem complicated, but your Nightlight foster care team will guide you through the process. Here is an overview of the steps.
- Meet the team. Schedule a time to speak with our staff to learn more about the foster care program. We can help you determine if foster care is a good fit for your family.
- Complete an application. Nightlight staff will review your application to make sure you meet state requirements. South Carolina requires that foster parents are at least 21 years of age. You may rent or own a home, however you must have a separate bedroom for the child. Foster parents must also pass background checks and have adequate financial and emotional resources to meet the needs of the child.
- Foster Parent Orientation. Attend an orientation meeting with your Nightlight Foster Care Advocate. Complete the state required 14-hours of foster care training through Heartfelt Calling.
- Home Study Completion. The home study includes in-depth interviews with you and with all members of your household. A home safety check will be completed by Nightlight and your home will be visited by the local Fire Marshall. The home study process helps us ensure we are finding the right fit for your family and that you are prepared for the journey ahead.
- Prepare for Your Child’s Arrival. Nightlight staff will contact you about referrals for children needing families. We desire for every child to matched with a family who meets the unique needs of the child. We will walk with you during this process, making sure to address your concerns and hopes for your family. We are available and ready to support you as needed.