Haiti is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, all intercountry adoptions between Haiti and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention. Haitian adoptions are conducted through a collaborative effort of a Hague accredited adoption agency in the U.S. and by the Haitian Central Adoption Authority (IBESR).
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
Children and sibling groups of all ages are available for adoption from Haiti. Applicants must be open to children up to age 6.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
• Single women are accepted into the program.
• A couple has to be married for at least 5 years.
1. Make application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
2. Begin your adoption home study and submit form I-800A to USCIS.
3. Begin to assemble your dossier. We will give you detailed instructions.
4. Once USCIS has approved your adoption home study, you will receive your I-797C pre-approval notice.
5. Once your USCIS approval has been received your dossier is complete, you will be registered to adopt in Haiti.
6. The Haitian Central Authority will add you to a list of waiting families and it can take 12 to 18 months to receive a referral.
7. Upon referral acceptance, you will travel to Haiti for a 15-day bonding trip.
8. Upon return to the US, you will file your I-800 application.
9. Once you receive your I-800 provisional approval, your dossier goes to court for the adoption.
10. Once you have received the court decree, the attorney will obtain a new birth certificate and passport for your child.
11. The final step is to obtain a US visa for your child. Once the visa is printed, you go to Haiti for the second required trip of 6 days and then return home with your child.
12. The children reside in orphanages while awaiting adoption.
13. Haiti adoptions can take on average from 24 to 36 months to complete, depending on the age of the child(ren) you are adopting.
The program fee for Haiti is $26,000. Your additional costs will include home study, airfare, hotel, meals and embassy fees as shown on the current Program Fee Schedule.
Please contact Jordyn Giorgi, Jordyn@nightlight.org (636)797-4100, ext. 416 with any questions.
Haiti Adoption Program Details:
- Children available will be toddlers, siblings and older children
- At least one adoptive parent must be over 30 years of age and under 50
- Couples must be married for 5 years
- The process for children over 7 years old is approximately 24 months
- Only 2 trips to Haiti are required
More Information on Haiti Adoptions