Many of our Christian clients are advocates of the “parent’s rights” movement, and Nightlight supports them.
The Parent’s Rights movement is the notion that parents, rather than the State, should be in control of how parents raise their children. The issue is not actually unique to Christians, and it has created some odd coalitions of very conservative and very liberal people at times.
Here are examples of some of the issues behind the Parent’s Rights movement, and how they affect our home study requirements:
- We are supportive home school, and vouchers for it
- While we encourage vaccination, we are supportive of families who choose not to vaccinate.
- While we ask for proof of medical insurance, we are supportive of families who opt for programs like Medi-share or alternatives to medical insurance
- While we prohibit foster parents from spanking, and we offer all families education on alternatives to spanking, we do not require parents to promise that they will not spank children after adoption
- We support parents having sole authority over education and health care for their children, and to have full disclosure about all health care their children seek or receive
Nightlight is here to support parents in their beautiful responsibility of “training up a child.”
Daniel Nehrbass, President