Infertility is stressful. It impacts a couple on every level; emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially, and relationally. When it feels like everyone around you has children, are talking about having children, or are pregnant, you feel alone. Normal everyday things like going to the grocery store can take courage.
Here are three things that you can do in the midst of the storm of infertility to stay sane.
- Find at least one friend that you can be completely vulnerable with. A friend who will pray for you when you’re having a bad day and who will listen as you vent your anger and frustrations. A friend who will be an encourager to you when you’re deeply devastated because of another negative pregnancy test. One faithful friend is better than many acquaintances.
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”
“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
- Find something you enjoy and do it often. Whether it is having a cup of your favorite coffee, binge watching that Netflix show, or spending time outside. Find something simple that brings you joy which you can look forward to once per week.
- Give yourself grace. You need to do what is best for you. At times that might involve opting out of a family function, baby shower, or birthday party. Don’t feel guilty for knowing your limits.
Remember, your identity comes from Christ, not in your ability to bear children. The Lord has good plans for you, lean into Him and allow Him to guide your steps. He loves you more than you know!
“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15
“Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.”
Check Out These Helpful Links:
- 31 Days of Prayer During Infertility is a month’s worth of devotions, journal pages, and scripture designed to help you connect with God through prayer.
- Sarah’s Laughter is Christian support for infertility and infant loss
- Longing for Motherhood by Chelsea Patterson Sobolik. is a book to provide encouragement and hope for women facing infertility, miscarriage, or the loss of a child.