So, I have been sick for three days this week. It is a fact of life that one must suffer sickness once in a while. This experience reminds me of the countless times my mama took me under her wing and nursed me back to health. There was one especially difficult time when I had the flu for almost 6 months. I was not exactly the healthiest child. As those of you might understand, children especially from the Former Soviet Union have very weak immune systems and struggled to regain the level of health that their American peers had. I was no exception. I remember getting Cactus Cooler and a really cute pink Barbie telephone toy that I used to call my mom for help with. It was so nice to know mama was only a few steps away from me at all times. Today, I am grateful for all the effort she took to keep me healthy.
So as I prepare to return to Russia in two weeks I prepare in my mind a list of all the advises mama gave to me over the years.
- Get some sleep even when you don’t want to!
- Drink fluids!
- Cuddle up with your favorite blankie or stuffed animal! On a side note it is never too childish to have a favorite blankie!
- Have a Cactus Cooler o1r a Coke for an upset stomach!
- And something that might be a little bit strange but Russians believe in COLD showers to help clear the cobwebs! It works!
- Tea with Lemon will then warm you right back up.
All in all, I know I have the best mother in the world. She fed me soup, read me stories about the Three Billy Goats Gruff to cheer me up and always had a warm hug for me when I needed it. It does make a difference to an orphan to have just one person to love them and give them sweet memories.