Taiwan is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). However, intercountry adoption process between Taiwan and the United States reflect the requirements of the Convention very closely.
Adoptions from ROC Taiwan are conducted through a collaborative effort of a Hague accredited adoption agency in the US, the Taiwanese Central Adoption Authority (Taiwan Child Welfare Bureau) and Chung Yi Social Welfare Foundation (a licensed adoption agency in Taiwan, Republic of China).
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
To learn more about adopting from Taiwan, Please contact Liana Stoddart at [email protected] or (502) 423-5780 with any questions.
- View Children Available.
- Both boys and girls are available for adoption.
- Children as young as 2 years and as old as fifteen are available for adoption. (wait time for a referral of a child under 5 years old can be up to 3 years.)
- Sibling groups are available.
- Children with Special Needs are available for adoption.
- Waiting children are always available
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
- Applicants must be between 25 and 50 years of age and at least 20 years older than the child they are adopting. Applicants can be up to the age of 55 if adopting an older or special needs child.
- Only married heterosexual couples may adopt from Taiwan.
- Applicants must be in good health, have a stable residence, a stable job and sufficient financial means to provide care for a child.
- Taiwan will not accept applicants with a criminal history, history of drug/alcohol abuse, or a history of pornography.
- Taiwan is reluctant to accept families with significant medical, psychological, psychiatric conditions.
- The number of children in a family must not exceed 3 and must not be more than 4 with the child they adopt. If a family has 4 or more children, they can only adopt a child over 5 years of age or a child with special needs.
- If the applicants have had divorces in their marriage history, the number of previous marriages of each applicant should be no more than one (i.e. the adoptive parents are now in their second marriage.).
- Make application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
- Begin your adoption Home Study and submit form I-600A to CIS.
- Begin to assemble your Initial dossier. We will give you detailed instructions.
- Once USCIS has approved your adoption petition, you will receive your I-797C pre-approval notice.
- Once your Initial dossier has been received, you will be registered to adopt in Taiwan.
- The Chung Yi Welfare Foundation will add you to a list of waiting families and it can take up to 36 months to receive a referral.
- Upon referral acceptance, Chung Yi will furnish necessary documents to Nightlight for filing I-600 petition.
- Nightlight will help you file I-600 form for the PAIR process with USCIS.
- Upon receipt of your approved I-600 form, Chung Yi will start court processing in Taiwan.
- Upon the receipt of final ruling, you will be scheduled to travel to Taiwan to complete your adoption process.
- The final step is to obtain the US visa for your child and returning home. Most families will stay in Taiwan for 5-7 days for theadoption process to be completed.
- The children reside in orphanages/foster families while awaiting adoption.
- Taiwan adoptions can take on average from 24 to 48 months to complete.
Within 30 days of your arrival home, you must have a home visit by your home study provider. Your home study provider will prepare post-adoption reports and submit them to Nightlight at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years and 5 years after you bring your child home. Reports for years 6-10 are prepared and submitted to Nightlight by the adoptive family as self- reports. These reports include your child’s developmental progress and pictures. This is a very serious commitment; Nightlight is committed to showing Chung Yi and birth families that children adopted by US citizens are healthy and well cared for. Compliance with post adoption reports is also required by the Hague Convention. Therefore, Nightlight charges a fee to monitor and process these post adoption reports and also requires families to pay for the cost of the post adoption report in advance.
Taiwan Adoption Program Details:
- Children will be 5 years of age or older
- Parents applying for the program must be under 55 years old
- Referral time for the Taiwan program is typically 24 months
More Information on Taiwan Adoptions