The Nightlight began offering adoption services for the children of the nation of Nigeria in 2016. Nigeria is located in West Africa and has the largest population on the continent of Africa. For this reason, it is often referred to as the “Giant of Africa”. The capital of Nigeria is Abuja and the largest city is Lagos. The fees for adoption from Nigeria are reasonable, and it is estimated that the process will take approximately 1.5 years from application to adoption completion depending upon the type of child you are seeking to adopt.
Nightlight Christian Adoptions has partnered with a local non-governmental organization (NGO) in Nigeria known as Morgan Hill Children’s Foundation. Their mission is to promote literacy, education, care, support, and to empower children. Children in Nigeria are often abandoned due to poverty, social problems, and parental illness. Nightlight is committed to helping families prepare for the adoption of children from Nigeria by providing educational information to assist with potential developmental delays and health issues.
Visit our Waiting Children Page
Start Your Adoption Inquiry Today
Nigeria Adoption Program Details
View Children Available Here. Nigeria adoption is a wonderful program for families desiring to adopt children five years old and older. There are also children who are ages 2-5 years old that have special needs available for adoption. Children living in poverty and raised in institutional care often have both developmental and emotional needs. There are also children available for adoption that have minor and correctable to moderate and severe special needs. Children who would otherwise have little hope for a future can have a better life with the emotional and physical security that a loving family can offer, along with the availability of excellent medical care in the United States. There are also sibling groups available for adoption.
ELIGIBILITY TO ADOPT
Married over 25 years and singles over age 35 old may adopt from Nigeria. Adoptive parents must be at least 25 years older than the child they wish to adopt and singles may only adopt a child of the same gender as the adoptive parent. Certain factors could keep you from adopting in general or from Nigeria in particular, as each country has its own rules as to who can adopt. Before applying, please consult with Nightlight regarding any sensitive issues that may apply to you, such as a divorce, a mental health issue, or a criminal history.
- Complete an application to Nightlight Christian Adoptions.
- Apply to Nigeria’s Ministry of Youth & Social Development
- Begin your adoption home study and submit form I-600A to CIS.
- Begin to assemble your dossier. Wewill give you detailed instructions.
- Once CIS has approved your adoption home study, you will receive your I-171H pre-approval notice.
- Once your CIS approval has been received and a child is available for you, you will receive a referral of a child in Nigeria.
- Once you have accepted a match of a child, your dossier will be delivered to the Morgan Hill in Nigeria who will add the child’s paperwork to your dossier and file with theMinistry for approval.
- Youwill receive permission to travel and go to Nigeria for the bonding period (1-3 months)
- At the end of the bonding period, you will go to court and receive the final adoption order.
- Apply for your child’s passport, Embassy doctor appointment, visa appointment at the US embassy and to bring your child home! (Some families choose to do two trips but both parents must go for the beginning of the bonding period and be present for court.)
The in-country stay gives you time to visit and live with your child daily and to begin the bonding process. It is amazing to see how children change while their parents are there visiting with them. The bonding process is very important, and being in the country allows your child to transition frombeing in an orphanage to being with you, his/her new family.
The program fee for a Nigeria adoption is $16,000. Additional estimated expenses of $25,690 – $37,975 will bring the total cost to approximately $41,960 – $53,945. In addition, your out-of-pocket expenses may further be reduced if you receive scholarships or other employer-provided adoption benefits. For additional fee information, please see Exhibit A.
Please contact Jordyn Giorgi at email@example.com or (636-797-4100) with any questions.
- Children will be 5 years and older. Children ages 2-5 years are available with special needs.
- Adopting parents must be at least 25 years of age and singles must be at least 35 years of age.
- Referral time will be an estimated 18 months depending on the family’s openness to age, gender, and special need
More Information on Nigeria Adoptions